Artichoke and spinach are the secret ingredients to bulking up classic baked ziti. With only 10 ingredients, cook up a hearty family dinner of cheesy pasta packed with vegetables and protein-rich turkey.
- 4 ounces (115 grams) uncooked whole-grain ziti or penne pasta
- 1 pound (450 grams) lean (99/1) ground turkey
- 1 small (70 grams) onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (24-ounce or 720 grams) jar no-salt-added marinara sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces (140 grams) fresh baby spinach
- 1 (12-ounce or 335 grams) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces or 110 grams) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese or dairy-free vegan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, divided
Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
Cook pasta in boiling water for 8 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to pot or transfer to a large bowl.
While pasta cooks, spray an extra large nonstick skillet with coconut oil cooking spray, and place over medium heat. Cook turkey, onion, and garlic for 5 minutes, until turkey is crumbled and cooked through. Stir in marinara sauce, artichoke hearts and salt. Cook 1–2 minutes, until thoroughly heated. Stir in spinach. Cook, tossing with tongs, until spinach is wilted. Stir turkey mixture into pasta.
Spoon pasta mixture into a lightly greased 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese; bake for 25-30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Let rest 5 minutes. Sprinkle with basil before serving.
Serves: 6 | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups (10.5 ounces or 383 g)
Per serving: Calories: 286; Total Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 57mg; Sodium: 400mg; Carbohydrate: 28g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Sugar: 7g; Protein: 31g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 45mg; Iron: 14%; Vitamin A: 13%; Vitamin C: 14%; Calcium: 16%
Adapted from https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/baked-ziti-casserole/