You won’t want to miss out on this delicious recipe for the vegan or dairy free friends in your life.
Over a year ago my daughter, Sadie Pearl, had a horrible eczema breakout that ultimately led us to a dairy free lifestyle. With my oldest 10th birthday approaching I was on the hunt for a recipe that would appeal to everyone’s taste buds yet meet our dietary needs as well.
While this isn’t the healthiest option out there (and I’d much rather turn my protein shake powder into brownies or ice cream) you have to live a little!
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Oreo Frosting
1 1/2 C All Purpose Flour (we use wheat)
1/2 C Cocoa Powder unsweetened
1 C Brown Sugar
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1 C Almond or non-dairy milk
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 C Olive Oil (we use Canola)
1 Flax Egg
1 TB White Vinegar
12 Oreo Cookies
3 C Powdered Confectioners Sugar
3 TB Vegan Butter
2 1/2 TB Almond milk (or other non dairy milk)
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 finely crushed or blended oreos
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
2. Mix the flour and cocoa powder into a mxigin bowl and then add the sugar, baking soda and salt.
3. Prepare your flax egg by mixing 1 TB Flaxseed th 3 TB Hot Water and allow it to sit for a minute to become glob like
4. Add the almond milk, vanilla extract, oil and vinegar to the mixing bowl and mix in.
5. Add the flax egg and mix till smooth in a mixing bowl.
6. Line a cupcake tray with liners, and fill approximately 1 TB of batter in the bottom of the liner then place one whole order on top of the batter.
7. Then divide the remaining batterly between the cupcake liners, prodding the batter directly on top of the order cookie.
8. Place into the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick and it come out clean.
9. When the cupcakes are baked, transfer them to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
10. Prepare your frosting by adding the powdered sugar, room temperature vegan butter, almond milk and vanilla extract to an electric mixing bowl and starting at slow speed gradually increase until its thick and smooth. Then add in finely crushed oreos. If your frosting is too thick add a tiny bit more of the almond milk.
11. When the cupcakes are cool pipe the frosting on the the cupcakes and place a broken oreo on top! You can also crush oreos and spoon the crumbles on top of the frosting